- Mesh Size determines the spacing between parallel wires in chain link fabric and, through that, the amount of steel in the product. In other words: the wider the “diamonds” in the mesh, the less steel the fabric contains, and vice versa. For residential fencing, American Fence Company of Des Moines recommends nothing less than 2 3/8” mesh, though there are many sizes available.
- Wire Gauge (ga.) or diameter also determines the amount of steel in the fabric. Smaller gauge numbers indicate higher steel content and wire strength. For residential fencing in Des Moines, we recommend nothing less than 11½ gauge chain link.
- Core wire coating comes in three types:
- GBW (Galvanized Before Weaving) provides a smooth, consistent coating, popular for yards and sports venues.
- Galvanized After Weaving (GAW) is submerged in hot melted zinc after the weaving process. Tends to leave nubs caused by dripping zinc. The speed at which the zinc is dipped and then removed determines the coating’s weight.
- Aluminum Coating is applied before the weaving process begins and yields a dull finish.
- Vinyl Coating Over Finished Core Wire comes in three types:
- Class 1 Extruded. The vinyl coating is pulled over the core in the manner of a sock. Thicker and not easily torn or peeled.
- Class 2A Extruded and Bonded. Thinner coating attached to wire by use of glue. Greatly reduces the likelihood of tearing and peeling.
- Class 2B Fused and Bonded. Defined by popularity with engineers and architects. While boasting the thinner coating type for chain link fencing, it is also the strongest in terms of resistance to cracks, peels, and tears. Bound and fused in the manner of steel welding.
Commercial Chain Link Fence
Chain link fencing is one of the most requested fence types by homeowners, as it’s ideal for keeping pets and children inside their yards while permitting visibility. The chain link fencing available here at American Fence Company is very affordable and comes in two types: classic galvanized and sleek black.
Boasting an inventory of 18+ acres—spread out across ten different locations—American Fence Company remains the largest fence material supplier in the Midwest. No competitor comes close to matching our bountiful stock of chain link posts, fabric, and fittings.
Our chain link fences are available in several gauges, two colors—the silvery appearance of classic galvanized and sleek black—and height selections that consist of 3’, 3.5’, 4’, 5’, and 6.’ Such a diverse spectrum of options means we can craft the ideal chain link fence for your home in Des Moines.
In the past, commercial chain link fences consisted solely of their traditional galvanized form. Since then, the number of options has diversified. American Fence Company of Des Moines is the city—and the nation’s—largest supplier of chain link fence materials, offering twelve different fence heights, two distinct colors, and a variety of gauges. Our parent company owns ten branches throughout the Midwest, so if ever need additional materials for a job, we simply—and quickly—import it from one of our sister branches. Between the lot, we manage an inventory encompassing more than eighteen acres! We also employ a team of trained industry professionals who know their craft inside and out. When you hire us to install a fence, you receive a product acclimated to your needs, fashioned to the best quality possible.
Chain Link Fences in Des Moines FAQ
What are the desired qualities of residential chain link fabric?
How do I select chain link fence framework from American Fence Company of Des Moines?
Begin by selecting the gauge and outside diameter of your fence pipe. Use the table below for selecting the framework next.
|Application||Light Duty||Medium Duty||Heavy Duty|
|3’-4’ high||Top rail||1-3/8” 17 ga.||1-3/8” 16 ga.||1-3/8” 15 ga.|
|Line Posts||1-5/8” 17 ga.||1-5/8” 16 ga.||1-5/8” 15 ga.|
|Terminal Posts||1-7/8” 17 ga.||1-7/8” 16 ga.||1-7/8” 15 ga.|
|5’-6’ high||Top rail||1-3/8” 17 ga.||1-3/8” 16 ga.||1-5/8” 15 ga.|
|Line Posts||1-7/8” 17 ga.||1-7/8” 16 ga.||1-7/8” 15 ga.|
|Terminal Posts||2-3/8” 17 ga||2-3/8” 16 ga.||2-3/8” 15 ga.|
Chain link fences manufactured and installed by American Fence Company of Des Moines begin with a few basic elements—fabric, framework, fittings, and gates—the final product determined by the manner in which all four are combined.